The purpose of an NSS Youth Regional Coordinator is to provide informational assistance to cavers, grottos, and youth group leaders so they may conduct safe and appropriate cave-related experiences. In addition to caving trips, these experiences may include presentations on ethics, geology, biology, techniques, and safety, as well as other topics of speleology.
- Monthly written report with:
- Progress - Accomplishments
- Plans – Projects To Do
- Problems and Challenges
- adhere to all guidelines, policies, and requirements of the National Speleological Society (NSS).
- adhere to all guidelines, policies, and requirements of the appropriate youth group organization.
- treat all youth groups with equal consideration.
- make themselves available to grottos within their region, to assist them in working with youth groups.
- make themselves available to youth groups within their region, to assist them in conducting safe caving trips and learning about caves.
- promote responsible caving practices for youth groups.
- promote responsible caving practices by grottos and cavers when working with youth groups.
While not required by the NSS YGLC at this time, most youth organizations may require;
- State background checks
- FBI Clearances
- Red Cross, or equivalent CPR and First Aid
- Cave Rescue training